RHS mods mess up sound???

I have been noticing someone lately involving the RHS mods. Sometimes, when I play a mission, I notice that I will not be able to hear the gunshots of other people. I’ve done some tests and have learned that I hear the gunshots if I unload the RHS mods. But I think I hear the gunshots of other people that have the RHS mod loaded. I have a feeling you only hear other people’s gunshots if you either if you both have RHS mods loaded , or you both have no RHS mods loaded. I am not completely sure about this topic and would like to hear feedback so I can figure this thing out.

This has been a known issue for months. I think someone made a post in the forums about it. I was hoping they fixed it in the RHS update last week. I have stopped urging RHS because of this.

does anyone know if this has been fixed yet?

It is not really something that can be ‘fixed’. We have been seeing a lot of sound-related issues lately, not only RHS. Hopefully, the following explanation will help players understand what the potential issue is.

The explanation below is going to specifically cover sounds, but the same can apply for not seeing a weapon, clothing, or equipment.

Most mods have a config.cpp (not binarized) or config.bin (binarized), from this point on referred to as the config file. The config file tells Arma various settings about the mod.

The following is a portion of the config file for the RHS M4A1

bullet1 = {“A3\sounds_f\weapons\shells\5_56\metal_556_01.wss”,0.1,1,15};
bullet10 = {“A3\sounds_f\weapons\shells\5_56\grass_556_02.wss”,0.01,1,15};
bullet11 = {“A3\sounds_f\weapons\shells\5_56\grass_556_03.wss”,0.01,1,15};
bullet12 = {“A3\sounds_f\weapons\shells\5_56\grass_556_04.wss”,0.01,1,15};
bullet2 = {“A3\sounds_f\weapons\shells\5_56\metal_556_02.wss”,0.1,1,15};
bullet3 = {“A3\sounds_f\weapons\shells\5_56\metal_556_03.wss”,0.177828,1,15};
bullet4 = {“A3\sounds_f\weapons\shells\5_56\metal_556_04.wss”,0.177828,1,15};
bullet5 = {“A3\sounds_f\weapons\shells\5_56\asphlat_556_01.wss”,0.1,1,15};
bullet6 = {“A3\sounds_f\weapons\shells\5_56\asphlat_556_02.wss”,0.1,1,15};
bullet7 = {“A3\sounds_f\weapons\shells\5_56\asphlat_556_03.wss”,0.1,1,15};
bullet8 = {“A3\sounds_f\weapons\shells\5_56\asphlat_556_04.wss”,0.1,1,15};
bullet9 = {“A3\sounds_f\weapons\shells\5_56\grass_556_01.wss”,0.01,1,15};
changeFiremodeSound = {“rhsusf\addons\rhsusf_sounds\ar15_shared\firemode”,0.6,1,5};
reloadMagazineSound = {“rhsusf\addons\rhsusf_sounds\ar15_shared\reload”,1,1,10};
drySound = {“A3\Sounds_F\arsenal\weapons\Rifles\Mx\dry_Mx”,0.562341,1,10};

In this example, all players would hear most of the sounds as bullet1 - bullet12 and drySound are using sounds from Arma, but if you did not have RHSUSAF loaded, you would not hear the changeFiremodeSound or reloadMagazineSound as these or only included as part of the RHSUSAF mod.

Now, this is when it gets a little complicated. RHSUSAF does not specifically configure sounds for bullet1 - bullet12 and drySound, they are inherited from the parent for the RHS M4A1 which is arifle_MX_Base_F. What this means is if 2 players are using RHSUSAF but one of the 2 is using a sound mod, for example JSRS, and JSRS changes the sound config values for bullet1 - bullet12 on arifle_MX_Base_F (the parent of the RHS M1A1), then the player not using JSRS, will no longer hear the sounds from the other players RHS M4A1, even though they both use RHSUSAF. They will still be able to see the weapon as the model config values would not be changed in this example.

There is nothing preventing one mod from changing the config values set by another mod. Ammo compatibility and sounds mods often do this. If one player does not have the exact same config files, loaded in the exact same order, as another, then there is a chance that you will not hear or in some cases see a weapon.

There is no easy way for us to help diagnose the issue, we would need the list of mods and the load order of the mods, for every player on the server. This is one of the drawbacks of allowing so many mods, but most players agree, the advantages of allowing so many mods, outweighs the negatives.