TFAR on the Lythium server

Looking into the learning curve required for the use of TFAR radio, just introduced on the new Lythium server makes my head spin. Like virtually all sims throughout the history of computer gaming, there is a point beyond which the transfer of the operational actions of real world devices to the digital world of mouse and keyboard (or other digital devices) begins to require such an overwhelming amount of learning and memorization that “play” becomes burdensome and is no longer fun.

I have been frequenting the Lythium server to attempt to initiate some level of Heli transport service that would get players involved. Just as with the Malden server, the distances to AO’s are relatively short, and quick to transverse, and should encourage some increased level of team involvement rather than the usual independents who just HALO everywhere (might just be beating my head against the wall here!).

I would like to continue in the pilot role on this map, but the complexity of TFAR ops is so off-putting I can’t imagine having to manipulate a radio while flying nap-of-the-Earth to an AO. As it is, in flight I often end up as a smoking pile of rubble if I just try to access the map briefly. Is there a method on this server that allows transport pilots a more simplified method of communicating with passengers, such as with the Teamspeak pilot channels on the other servers, without using the TFAR radio system?

TFAR is not required on the Lythium server. and once you understand the very basics of TFAR it is very easy to use. If you would like some help, let any admin in TeamSpeak know and we can show you all you need to know about TFAr in about 5 min.

Most of the configuration of TFAR in game takes about 20 seconds and for the most part you do not need to touch those settings again.

But as I said TFAR is not required on the server and pilots are welcome to be in either the pilots channel or the TFAR channel. If you are in the TFAR channel without having the mod loaded, all players with TFAR will still be able to communicate with you and you with them. So there is no downside of having or allowing TFAR on the server.

The guys on the server yesterday were kind enough to attempt to educate me, but it was a bit of a circus, with the whole group talking over each other about which radio they should have and which channels they should be using. They seemed just as up-in-the-air about it as I was! It was impossible to actually isolate a conversation, but someone was able to point me to the TFAR web site, where I was able to educate myself a bit and find out that additional steps and an additional download and install, outside of the mod itself was necessary.

Now, with you stating that even if I’m in the pilot’s channel, and without the mod loaded, I can still communicate…begs the questions, “why should I even hassle with TFAR…and if I want to go to the trouble, why is it better, outside of just being a bit more “mil-sim”?

For some people there is no reason to use TFAR. Most players, including NAK Tac, use it to add a little more realism, and the ability to have multiple channels for a single group and to have channels dedicated per “task”.

I agree on a public server like ours it is harder to justify the use. With an organized group it does make things much better in regard to communication.

We added it to the server because it is one of the most requested server mods. We understood that not everyone would want to use it so we choose a configuration that did not make it required. The hope is that because the Lythium server has a more dedicated group of players that more and more of them will use TFAR and actually take advantage of the features and added realism.

OK - understand. I will continue in the role of transport and nibble away at TFAR as I go. Who knows…maybe I’ll become a convert. I like the idea of pushing Lythium into a bit more realism - maybe attract more mature and serious players who prefer a bit more cooperation and immersion, but like myself, don’t really have the time or opportunity for a full-blown mil-sim because of family and time restrictions.

Another thought: I suppose that introducing more rigorous requirements or challenges can actually serve as a mechanism to weed out the “undesirables” who often show up on the larger public servers